Annoyed about the spring loose in 10.7.4? Want to see that lovely spring icon in your dock when you drag a URL there? Here’s how to copy to all your machines using Apple Remote Desktop:
1. On a Mac not running 10.7.4, the missing icon lives in /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/url.png. Use Finder to navigate to it (se Go > Go to Folder…).
2. On Apple Remote Desktop, select the Macs you want to fix the problem on, click the ‘Copy’ icon and then drag that file into the ‘Items to Copy’ box.
3. Choose ‘Same relative location’ in the ‘Place items in:’ box.
4. Set ownership to ‘Inherit from destination folder’.
Workgroup Manager is wonderful, but it doesn’t tell computers which printer drivers to use. Which is annoying when a certain Ricoh printer/copier doesn’t work with the default OSX supplied driver (unless you have postscript fonts installed on the printer) and instead just spews out pages of garbled nonsense.
Thankfully, there is a reasonably easy fix!
1. Follow this page to create a custom PPD file, with exactly the driver you do want to use. Gutenprint ones work fine!
2. Follow this page to point your Macs to that custom PPD file using Workgroup Manager.
Have you just deployed a new image only to discover that the registration screen of iWork pops up on every account on every computer. Well, you’re in luck! On the wonderful AFP548.com site, someone has posted an installer that sets each computer so that it no longer asks for registration. You can download the package file here or read about it here. Very handy!