Today I was busy setting up some new iPad minis for school. Apple Configurator is getting increasingly reliable and stable, so didn’t hit too many issues with that. However, I then hit a problem that I couldn’t get the devices to enrol on Profile Manager.
Now, I’ve spent several years trying my best to get Profile Manager to work. On Lion, it was basically broken. By Mavericks, it had improved quite a lot. But it was never fully reliable, with odd quirks coming up every now and again. There were some cool features, such as the use of variables when setting up things such as email accounts. But the downside to this was that when the Mac server decided to lose the link to our Active Directory, this resulted in all of the teachers’ email settings being removed from their iPads. Not fun.
Now, I have used Meraki before, which has a free MDM solution. It doesn’t do everything and can be a bit confusing to use, but it is certainly reliable. And free. So today I decided that I would use Profile Manager to actually build all of my profiles (which it is really good at, e.g. email settings, restrictions etc.) and then use Meraki to deploy them.
And so far, this seems to be working fine! The only downside is that I have to remove every device from Profile Manager and enrol them onto Meraki instead, but I’m having to do a bit a refresh anyway, so it shouldn’t be too much work as well.